Sunday, May 4, 2008

First Test for "Dry" May

Today’s rant will mark the first trip to the pub during my “dry” May. Yes, for the first time since I starting partaking in the adventure that is the murky oblivion of drinking myself unconscious, I have decided to give the grog a miss for a month (just before travelling with my Dad and the scuba diving club to the Great Barrier Reef who love a good drop…or a down pour)…

I found it quite amusing that when “pub for lunch” was mentioned by work mates that I did not think of said decision made only a week earlier. Nor did it come to mind when I was ordering my lunch…but I did have a good giggle at myself when I automatically stated “I’m just going to grab a beer”. No beer for me…when I explained this to a friend she was quite puzzled for more than a moment…no alcohol…you’re in a pub? Her perplexed face was priceless…but I still had to suffer with a coke…(other than water, what else is really on offer? I’ve never needed to know before).

I still had a laugh and good food…and no spontaneous giggling when returning to the office…unfortunately, after a trip to the pub, I’m used to the rest of the day flying…sad to say it’s going along at it’s normal pace but I’m sure none of my work will be required to be rechecked tomorrow.

And, for the entire world to read, I have some time and concentration to write a rant.

Since going out to a club some years ago with “friends” and making the one time (and only time) offer of being designated driver I have a fear that sober me would find out my drunk “friends” are fu*k wits (in a bad way…there is a good way to be a fu*k wit but you have to have talent to pull it off)…after this epiphany I drunk enough to kill those brain cells that held tight to THAT memory…I guess that I had taught myself over the years that drinking makes, not necessarily everything better, but at least I got to enjoy myself in sub-conscious self pity.

Now, quite a few years since that sober observation of my social surroundings, I have made the conscious decision to take a different path of dealing. This seems to be no social surroundings...but hey, nothing's perfect and instead of enjoying myself in sub-conscious self pity (and spending quite a bit of money doing it), I'm actually enjoying myself in conscious self pity (DEBT FREE!).

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

If only someone had told me that I'd be debt free if I'd give up drinking I'd have done it years ago. Instead I'm drowning in debt (and occasionally drowning in alcohol too).

Nevermind, there's always next month!

Carolyn said...

YOU HAVE BEEN TAGGED!

Link the person who tagged you
Mention the rules on your blog:
Tell about 6 unspectacular quirks of yours

Tag fellow bloggers by linking them
Leave a comment on each of the tagged bloggers blogs letting them know they have been tagged.